Sunday, April 10, 2016

"The Cipher" | Steampunk Electric Guitar

Finally finished this one after 6+ years!    But, I am extremely pleased with results.
The Cipher | 2016 Trident Studios

The Cipher | 2016 Trident Studios

I started with  $25 Craigslist find of a Cipher electric guitar by Inter-mark.

I based the design on one Jake Von Slatt of the Steampunk Workshop produced.

I designed and acid-etched and machine and hand shaped the brass pick-guard, neck plate and back plate.  I left the brass uncoated so it will oxidize and age over time.

Since, I originally planned this as a art project,  I unfortunately cut the wires on the pickups, knobs and switches so it is currently unplayable. I regret this now, but I sure it could be rewired. Also, it was originally a cream color. I repainted the body and neck a satin black and the remaining parts gold.

The Cipher | 2016 Trident Studios
The Cipher | 2016 Trident Studios

The Cipher | 2016 Trident Studios
The Cipher | 2016 Trident Studios
Yes, the back plate says "2011", which was my original completion goal. Oh, well!

1 comment:

  1. This guitar is awesome! However it would be better if you can acctually make this playable :>

    ReplyDelete